Call for Proposals
Special Call for G-RISC Proposals
A special Call for G-RISC Proposals is launched due to the present Coronavirus pandemic. It is aimed to promote Russian - German interdisciplinary and sustainable electronic projects as well as Russian - German scientific collaborations not requiring physical visits by traveling abroad. Please see details for the scope of funding and the regulations how to participate in this call for proposals.
Funding Period: July 01, 2020 – December 31, 2020
Deadline: June 25, 2020 (CET)
Regulations for the Special Call for G-RISC ProposalsFunding period: July 01, 2020 – December 31, 2020 (Second Semester 2020) PLEASE READ CAREFULLY HOW TO PREPARE A G-RISC PROPOSAL
Deadline for submission of proposals: June 25, 2020 (CET):
The German-Russian Interdisciplinary Science Center (G-RISC) is a Center of Excellence established in 2010. The main offices are based at St. Petersburg State University and Freie Universität Berlin. G-RISC relies on funding and regulations of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) and provides a unique interdisciplinary research platform supporting excellent education and research in binational projects between Russia and Germany.
Scope of Funding by G-RISC:
1. Electronic Projects: Sustainable developments in German-Russian collaboration promoting the goals of G-RISC using electronic means and their demonstration of use. The need for these developments must be documented by the involved research groups and preferentially a larger community within the scientific scope of G-RISC from Russia and Germany.
Possible projects may include:
- Development of software for scientific use in support of the joint interpretation of experimental results, where preference is given to interdisciplinary community efforts.
- Development of software for use in support of electronic teaching (e.g. applets for electronic experiments) or electronic examinations to be made available to G-RISC for future use.
- Development of electronic teaching of compact classes that are made available to G-RISC for future use (preference: mp4 format).
- Development of concepts or formats for virtual conferences.
Original project ideas can be funded up to 3,000 EUR, where the simple purchase of hardware or commercial software packages and its subsequent collaborative use is excluded.
2. Sur-Place Stipends: Scientific collaborations within the interdisciplinary scope of G-RISC not requiring physical visits or realization of Electronic Projects (see above) can be funded with a support of 150 EUR per month.
REGULATIONS how to prepare a G-RISC proposal (PLEASE READ CAREFULLY):
- Proposals must be written in the English language.
- They must be submitted before the deadline on June 25, 2020 (CET).
- Submissions must be done via the electronic submission system: https://proposals.g-risc.org/. This requires that you must register for the electronic submission system before entering the proposal data. Do not forget to push the "SUBMIT" Button, once you are finished. Only saved (but not submitted) proposals in the proposal system will be not be considered for evaluation. You will receive an Email, only if the proposal is successfully submitted.
- Submissions by Email will be excluded from the evaluation process.
- Late, incomplete, or lost proposals will neither be considered for review nor for funding.
- Specific questions can be asked at firstname.lastname@example.org.
A complete proposal consists of (please gather all items before you start the electronic submission process):
1. Cover page (generated by electronic submission system - note that this system is not fully adapted to this Special Call, which requires your cooperation (see below)): There, the following information is needed to be entered (Note that all required fields must be filled for a successful submission of your proposal):
- Title of the project you propose
- Type of Project: for Electronic Projects: please choose “Conference”; for Sur-Place Stipends: Please use exchange to the country, where the person to be funded is based (as no travelling is needed)
- Number of funded people: enter “1” or “2” (only matters for Sur-Place Stipends)
- Specify the type of project either with “Other” or “Teaching”
- Duration of the project: Enter according to your needs (up to 6 months)
- Requested start of funding: indicate the month of the second semester 2020
- Field of research: Please make your choice
- Requested funds (please add according to the financial regulations – see below: You must justify this budget in the proposal)
- Personal Information of the Russian Principal Investigator (Salutation, first name, last name, achieved academic degree, affiliation, full laboratory address, Email address, telephone number)
- Personal Information of the German Principal Investigator (Salutation, first name, last name, achieved academic degree, affiliation, full laboratory address, Email address, telephone number)
- Only for Sur-Place Stipends: Personal Information of the first funded person (Salutation, first name, last name, achieved academic degree, affiliation, full laboratory address, Email address, telephone number, date of birth, full private address, information on language skill in English).
- If applicable for Sur-Place Stipends (can be left blank): Personal Information of the second funded person (Salutation, first name, last name, academic degree, affiliation, full laboratory address, Email address, telephone number, date of birth, full private address, information on language skill in English).
2. Project Description (to be uploaded (pdf format), length: max. 2 pages, only pdf-documents are accepted): (single spaced, New Times Roman, 12 pt). Longer proposals will be rejected. The following structure of the body of the proposals is obligatory:
- Title of the project
- State-of-the-art and own previous work
- Aims of the project and description of the innovative, interdisciplinary approach involving Russian and German researchers
- Brief work plan or outline of activities
- Requested funds and justification must be made according to the regulations of G-RISC and DAAD (see below: Annex 1)*
- A list of references of published work funded previously by G-RISC should be submitted as an Appendix
3. Letter of acceptance from the Russian institution (OBLIGATORY, to be uploaded, pdf format) indicating briefly the support of the proposed work (upload of pdf document of < 1 MByte - documents of larger size will not be processed) - in most cases the PI may sign this document. G-RISC may request that the Head of Institution must sign, as well.
4. Letter of acceptance from the German institution (OBLIGATORY, to be uploaded, pdf format) indicating briefly the support of the proposed work (upload of pdf document of < 1 MByte - documents of larger size will not be processed) - in most cases the PI may sign this document. G-RISC may request that the Head of Institution must sign, as well.
Proposals ignoring these requirements will be excluded from evaluation and funding.
Reviewing and notification
- The submitting person will be notified by and automatic Email that the proposal has been properly submitted. If you do not receive an Email means that you have not completed the submission process.
- All proposals will be peer reviewed and the decision of funding is made by the binational Steering Committee of G-RISC.
- The result of the evaluation is currently planned to be sent by July 20, 2020 to the submitting person (in the case of unexpected delays of the tight schedule, we request to remain patient). All projects will receive a funding statement. There, it will be stated, if funds are allocated, or not.
Annex 1: Regulations for Financial Support (Funding Rates)
1. Electronic Projects: Please state the financial needs according to quotations or estimates. Note that all purchases must be done via Freie Universität Berlin. Any durable equipment will remain property of this institution.
2. Sur-Place Stipends: The rate per month is 150 EUR.